Interested in Coaching Hockey in Langley?
All individuals who are interested in coaching with the Langley Minor Hockey Association (LMHA) for the upcoming hockey season (2021/22) are required to complete the Coaches’ Application Form below. The LMHA Board of Directors will review all applications and make offers for head coaching positions. Assistant coaches are chosen by the head coach, but they are still required to complete all required certifications as required by both BC Hockey and LMHA.
Please click to review the LMHA Team Official Code of Conduct document.
What Coaching Certification do I require to Coach in LMHA?
LMHA must follow BC Hockey's certification requirements for each level of hockey. If you are uncertain as to what you require for the age level that you are interested in coaching, please visit here.
What if I don't have my Coaching Certification at the start of the season?
BC Hockey will begin running their coaching clinics again in the fall. If you apply to coach but do not have your coaching certification at the start of the season, that is ok. You can still begin coaching and register to take and complete your coaching clinic prior to December 1, 2021. LMHA will require confirmation of your registration at the start of the season. Visit here to register. If you do not complete the required courses prior to the deadline, you will be removed from the roster and your team will risk ineligibility for the remainder of the season.
Do I require any additional Certification to coach in LMHA?
As per BC Hockey, each and every team official, regardless of their level, is required to hold valid certifications as follows:
- Criminal Record Check (CRC). This is required every three years. There is no cost. To apply for your CRC, follow the instructions here.
- Respect in Sports (RIS) - Activity Leader. This is required every five years. It is an online course that LMHA will reimburse you for provided you complete the course and you are rostered to a team. To register for RIS, visit here.
- Concussion Awareness Training Tool (CATT). Currently, there is no expiry date on this course. It is available online and is free. To register for CATT, visit here.
- NEW! Planning a Safe Return to Hockey. This is a new, online, free course that is mandatory for team officials. It takes about 20 minutes. There is currently no expiry date. To register, visit here.
All of the above courses must be complete and current prior to the start of the season.
If you are uncertain as to which courses you have taken and/or their expiry dates, you can check on Hockey Canada's eHockey website here.
How do I apply to Coach in LMHA?
To apply to coach in LMHA, please click on the appropriate link below to submit your application.
*Please note that NEW refers to an applicant who has not coached an LMHA Rep team and RETURNING means you have coached an LMHA Rep team in the Under-11 Division or higher. The deadline to apply to coach A2 - A4 is May 31, 2021.
- New and Returning 'A1' Rep Coach Application Form NOW CLOSED
- NEW 'A2 - A4' Rep Coach Application NOW OPEN
- RETURNING 'A2 - A4' Rep Coach Application NOW OPEN
- New and Returning 'U6-U21' C Coach Application OPENS JUNE 1, 2021
What happens next?
- A1 Interviews will be held in Spring of 2021
- A2 - A4 Interviews will be held TBD
- U6-U18 Application submission will stay open, as necessary, and interviews will be held as required.
*This timeline is subject-to-change.,
LMHA will be in touch with you to discuss the next steps of the process and set up an interview time. Having all certifications in place PRIOR to your interview is recommended. Should you have any questions in the meantime, please feel free to email our VP of Operations directly at:
How do I go about getting reimbursed for a certification?
If you took a Clinic during the 2020/21 Season and are rostered to an LMHA team, you will be reimbursed upon CERTIFICATION. If you have a receipt for Respect in Sport or HCSP or a Coaching Clinic you can submit the receipt directly to the LMHA Treasurer on or after October 15th of each season. In your submission, you will be asked to include...
- Name, Mailing Address, Phone Number, Email Address, Clinic Certificate of Completion, Dated Receipt
*Once a reimbursement request is received, LMHA will confirm that you are rostered to an LMHA team. LMHA will then contact you when your cheque is ready. Please allow a minimum of thirty (30) days for the cheque to be processed.
You MUST have a valid Criminal Record Check (CRC), Respect in Sport (RIS), Concussion Awareness Training Tool (CATT) and A Safe Return to Hockey BEFORE you are eligible to be rostered to an LMHA team.