As a minor hockey association, we promote the enjoyment and satisfaction of playing the game if ice hockey for all participants and volunteers. We remain committed to the further development of skills, performance, teamwork, sportsmanship, character, and friendship. We strive to have all players participate equally on a competitive or recreational level. We use hockey to develop dignity and self esteem in our participants while promoting the values of honesty, integrity and respect, on and off the ice.
LMHA... keeping the game of hockey
FUN, FAIR and REWARDING.
Play the game you love and love the game you play.
The Langley Minor Hockey Association mandates fair play and respect and promotes respect for all members and participants including, but not limited to, all players, parents, volunteers, executive members, officials, managers, administrators and trainers involved in LMHA activities and events.
The LMHA is committed to providing an environment in which all individuals are treated with respect. Members and participants shall conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with the values of LMHA which include respect, fairness and integrity. Members shall refrain from comments which are disrespectful, offensive, abusive, racist or sexist. LMHA will not tolerate harassment, abuse or bulling. Members shall not engage in activity or behaviour in any activity or behaviour which interferes with a competition or with any player or team's preparation for a competition.
All members will observe the principles of Fair Play.
FAIR PLAY CODE
- I will play hockey because I want to, not because others or coaches want me to.
- I will play by the rules of hockey and in the spirit of the Game.
- I will control my temper – fighting or “mouthing-off” can spoil the activity of everyone.
- I will respect my opponents.
- I will do my best to be a true team player.
- I will remember that winning isn’t everything – that having fun, improving skills, making friend and doing my best are important.
- I will acknowledge all good plays and performances – those of my team and opponents.
- I will remember that coaches and officials are there to help me. I will accept their decisions and show them respect.
- I will not force my child to participate in hockey.
- I will remember that my child plays hockey for his or her enjoyment, not mine.
- I will encourage my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflict without resorting to hostility or violence.
- I will teach my child that doing one's best is as important as winning so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of the game.
- I will make my child feel like a winner every time by offering praise for competing fairly and hard.
- I will never ridicule or yell at my child for making a mistake or losing a game.
- I will remember that children learn by example. I will applaud good plays and performances by both my child's team and their opponents.
- I will never question the official's judgment or honesty in public. I recognize officials are being developed in the same manner as players.
- I will not accept nor participate in verbal and physical abuse from children's hockey games.
- I will respect and show appreciation for the team officials who give their time to hockey for my child.
- I will be reasonable when scheduling games and practices remembering that young athletes have other interests and obligations.
- I will teach my athletes to play fairly and to respect the rules, officials, opponents and teammates.
- I will ensure that all athletes receive equal instruction, discipline, support and appropriate fair playing time.
- I will not ridicule or yell at my athletes for making mistakes or for performing poorly. I will remember that children play to have fun and must be encouraged to have confidence in themselves.
- I will make sure that the equipment and facilities are safe and match the athlete’s age and ability.
- I will remember that children need a coach they can respect. I will be generous with praise and set a good example.
- I will obtain proper training and continue to upgrade my coaching skills.
- I will make sure that every player has a reasonable opportunity to perform to the best of his or her ability, within the rules.
- I will avoid or remedy any situation that threatens the safety of the players.
- I will maintain a health atmosphere and environment for competition.
- I will not permit the intimidation of any player either by word or action. I will not tolerate unacceptable conduct towards myself, other on-ice officials, players, coaches or spectators.
- I will be consistent and objective in calling all infractions, regardless of my personal feelings towards a team or individual player.
- I will handle all conflicts firmly but with dignity.
- I will accept my role as teacher and role model for fair play, especially with young participants
- I will be open to discussion and contact with the players before and after the game.
- I will remain open to constructive criticism and show respect and consideration for different points of view.
- I will obtain proper training to upgrade my officiating skills.
- I will work in cooperation with coaches for the benefit of the game.